The USI Transcript Service was activated on 22 May 2017. USI account holders can now use their USI to access their national training record online in the form of a USI Transcript. The transcript should include details of all non-exempt nationally recognised training completed or commenced since 2015 and available as part of the national VET collection. Training activity data is reported by training providers either annually (most privately funded training) or quarterly (most government funded training). The full list of available annual and quarterly data currently included in a transcript is shown in the USI Transcript – Available Data information box at the top of this page. The transcript will collate training outcomes from different training providers, in different states, and across different years – in the one record. USI account holders will be able to download or print their USI Transcript and share it electronically with registered training providers if they choose from within their USI account.
Several new resources on transcripts are available at ‘USI Support Materials’ in the left hand column. Here you will find Fact Sheets and Videos explaining how the USI Transcript Service works. The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) provided below will also assist in understanding the USI Transcript Service.
The online transcript will have many uses but it is important to note that it does not replace the qualifications or documentation issued by training organisations. This transcript will be a useful backup for when the original documentation is lost or where duplicate documentation cannot be obtained from the training provider, for example because it is no longer operating.
5 key things you need to know about transcripts
- The benefits of this initiative for training organisations and students will accrue over time as more training records are added to individual transcripts.
- Although the USI Transcript Service will have many uses, it will not replace the qualifications or documentation issued by training organisation.
- Students may use this service to provide evidence of their skills when applying for jobs or enrolling for further training.
- Training organisations can view a student's transcript through the Organisation Portal.
- Only training providers can make corrections to the training records.
Transcripts should show:
- Nationally recognised training (that has not been exempt)
- Courses and units completed in 2015, 2016 and 2017 plus quarterly data for the current year as it becomes available
- Units of competency commenced but not completed in 2015, 2016, 2017 or at the time of collection of quarterly data for the current year (shown as continuing)
- Qualifications commenced in 2014 but completed in 2015
- Single day course units where the participant supplied a USI to the training organisation
Transcripts will NOT show:
- Training that is not nationally recognised (even if delivered by a Registered Training Organisation)
- Training submitted to NCVER or a State Training Authority without a USI
- Training completed before 2015
- Training commenced after relevant current quarter
- Training outcomes that changed after the last relevant annual or quarterly submission date
*Quarterly data only includes information submitted by State Training Authorities. Click here for further information.
To view a sample transcript click here
Are you ready for transcripts?
RTOs are encouraged to do a quick health check to ensure that staff familiarise themselves with the information and resources available on the USI Transcript Service and USI Transcript Update Tool.
Follow this RTO Readiness Checklist to make sure you’re ready for Transcript Service activation.
A detailed information pack developed for Training Organisations which provides an overview of the USI Transcript Service, frequently asked questions and links to other resources.
USI Transcript Update Tool
It is important that training providers have a mechanism to make any necessary corrections to the data required to populate the USI transcript. A USI Transcript Update Tool has been developed by NCVER which allows training providers to update (edit, add or delete) training information that is displayed on a USI transcript. The tool is accessed via the AVETMISS Validation Software (AVS). More information on this is available from NCVER’s USI Update Tool Fact Sheet.
The USI Transcript Update Tool is not an alternative to AVETMISS reporting but allows training providers to update records relating to nationally recognised training activity that cannot be updated using standard data submission process.
Training providers are encouraged to register with NCVER to use AVS and gain access to the USI Transcript Update Tool, and to familiarise themselves with the procedures for making USI transcript updates.
Training providers can only use the USI Transcript Update Tool to update records on a USI transcript where the subjects and programs are listed on training.gov.au (TGA). This means that there are a small number of accredited units/modules that are not on TGA which cannot be updated using the tool.
It should be noted that the normal AVETMISS reporting process should always be followed where possible. For this reason the USI Transcript Update Tool cannot be used to update current year training activity. For those training providers who report to their state training authorities quarterly (or more frequently) - any changes made to current year training activity in your student management system will be displayed when the next quarterly data submission is loaded to the USI Transcript database.
What information is included in a transcript?
All nationally recognised training including nationally accredited training reported by training providers will appear on a USI Transcript. The USI Transcript should include the following information:
- The full name of the USI account holder (this is the only information drawn from the USI account)
- The name of all the nationally recognised training completed or commenced since 2015 and available as part of the national VET collection. The full list of available annual and quarterly data that is currently included in a transcript is shown in the USI Transcript - Available Data information box at the top of this page.
- The name of all units of competency and modules in which the individual enrolled and
- their outcome, for example whether the competency was achieved or not;
- the training providers that delivered them;
- the date they were commenced and completed; and
- an indication of their source of funding that is, whether individuals paid for their own training, or received training that was subsidised by government.
Training providers report either quarterly or annually to the national VET collections, so there will always be a time lag in displaying recently completed training. Therefore, USI Transcripts should be read in conjunction with other evidence of training.
Does the USI transcript meet ASQA's requirement/equivalent to a certified Credential for the purpose of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer?
A student’s USI transcript contains training outcome data submitted to the national collection by the student’s RTO as a true record of the training undertaken by the student since 2015, including completions and non-completions. As such, a student’s USI transcript accessed directly online by the RTO is a valid way to authenticate the training undertaken by a student, comparable to calling the issuing RTO.
The Australian’s Skills Quality Authority has updated the Users’ Guide to the Standards for RTOs 2015 which provides helpful information and tips for compliance. Clause 3.5 now identifies ‘authenticated VET transcripts issued by the Registrar’ as evidence of credit to learners for units of competency and/or modules.