The USI Transcript Service will allow USI account holders to generate a transcript which collates all training details reported to the National VET Data Collection that are linked to their USI.
5 key things you need to know about transcripts
- The benefits of this initiative for training organisations and students will accrue over time as more training records are added to individual transcripts.
- Although the USI Transcript Service will have many uses, it will not replace the qualifications or documentation issued by training organisation.
- Students may use this service to provide evidence of their skills when applying for jobs or enrolling for further training.
- Training organisations can only view a student's transcript through the Organisation Portal.
- Only training providers can make corrections to the training records.
Transcripts WILL show:
Courses and units completed in 2015
Courses and unit units completed in 2016
Units of competency commenced in 2015 but not completed (shown as continuing)
Qualification commenced in 2014 but completed in 2015
Single day course units where the participant supplied a USI to the training organisation
Nationally recognised training (that is not exempt)
Transcripts will NOT show:
Training completed before 2015
Training commenced in 2017
Training that is not nationally recognised (even if delivered by a Registered Training Organisation)
Training submitted to the NCVER or a State Training Authority without a USI
Training outcomes that changed in 2017
To view a sample transcript click here
Are you ready for transcripts?
In the lead up to the USI Transcript Service activation, RTOs are encouraged to do a quick health check to ensure that staff familiarise themselves with the information and resources available on the USI Transcript Service and USI Transcript Update Tool.
Follow this Check List to make sure you’re ready for Transcript Service activation.
USI Transcript Update Tool
It is important that training providers have a mechanism to make any necessary corrections to the data required to populate the transcript. A USI Transcript Update Tool has been developed by NCVER. This will allow training providers to update records they have previously reported via the AVETMISS process. It will allow them to edit, add or delete records. More information on this is available at USI Update Tool Fact Sheet.
All training providers, especially providers who have submitted national reporting data (for non-exempt training) without a USI, will need to be able to process corrections in 2017.
Prior to the USI Transcript Service Update Tool, the National VET Data Collection could not be updated after the collection window for a given year was completed. The USI Transcript Service Update Tool is not an alternative to AVETMISS reporting but will enable training providers to correct records relating to nationally recognised training activity that cannot be updated using standard data submission process.
Training providers are encouraged to register with the NCVER to use the USI Transcript Service Update Tool if necessary and to familiarise themselves with the procedures for making corrections.
What information is included in a transcript?
The transcript will include the following information:
- The full name of the USI account holder;
- The name of all the nationally recognised VET qualifications completed since 2015 and the training providers that issued them
- The name of all units of competency in which the individual enrolled and
- their outcome, for example whether the competency was achieved or not;
- the training providers that delivered them;
- the date they were commenced and completed; and
- an indication of their source of funding that is, whether individuals paid for their own training, or received training that was subsidised by government.
Please note that during the trial only training activity completed in 2015 will be included and some accredited course modules may not be included.
Where does the transcript information come from?
The information in the USI transcript comes from the training data that each training provider submits either directly or through their State Training Authorities, to the national VET database which is managed by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER). Training providers must submit this data at least once a year, although many submit it more frequently, especially when they deliver training paid for by government. Training providers who report via their State Training Authorities (STAs) should note that the STAs only report quarterly to NCVER.
Will the information in transcripts always be complete or accurate?
The transcript should include details of all non-exempt nationally recognised training completed since 1 January 2015 and for which the training organisation collected a USI and submitted data to the National VET Data Collection. The transcript will show 2015 and 2016 training information. It will not yet show 2017 information. If information about training completed in 2015 is not shown, it may be because:
- the training organisation has an exemption from reporting the training,
- the student have received an exemption from getting a USI, or
- the training organisation has not included the USI in the data reported, or
- the training organisation has not reported any data.
Where confirmed errors or omissions are brought to their attention by students, training organisations will be expected to resubmit correct data at the earliest opportunity to enable USI account holders to receive a complete transcript.
On rare occasions, incorrect or incomplete transcripts may also be the result of individuals having more than one USI. USI account holders or training organisations should advise the USI Office as soon as possible if they think that this may have occurred.
How do I view a student’s electronic transcript?
If you would like students to give you permission to see their transcript online you will need to ask them, it is not automatic You can view a student’s transcript if they have set their access controls in the USI Registry System to give you permission. You can only view the transcript via the USI Organisation Portal.
What system access do I need to view transcripts?
You will need to be able to access the USI Organisation Portal. This means that you must have an AUSkey.
Can training providers view any student’s transcript?
You will be able to view the transcript of any student who has given your organisation permission from within their USI account.
What is a partial transcript?
A partial transcript allows students to create or download their transcript with only selected training information within their account. This enables students to tailor their transcript according to specific needs and purposes such as providing evidence of their skills when applying for jobs. Students can also give access to training providers to view their transcripts online for enrolment purposes. However, training providers if given permission to view transcripts will always view the full transcript.