A student must give permission to an education or training provider or VET Related Body to:
- create a USI on their behalf
- search for their USI
- view and/or update details on their USI account
- disclose their USI to another provider
- view their VET transcript.
How students give permission to an education or training provider
Students can permit an education or training provider (or VET Related Body (VRB)) to view and/or update their details directly through the USI Registry System. This means the provider can:
- view the student’s personal information such as their contact details
- update the student’s personal information such as their contact details
- view the student’s full VET transcript (applicable for Registered Training Organisations and VRBs only)**
Depending on the permissions set by the student, the education or training provider may receive an email notification informing them of the type of permissions the student has granted. This notification will be sent to the contact details they have recorded with training.gov.au or TEQSA.
When the education or training provider logs into the USI Organisation Portal, all the information the student has permitted access to will be visible.
** Students can choose to allow a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) or VRB to view their full VET transcript through the USI Organisation Portal. Students can also download their full transcript, or an extract of their transcript, and provide it via email or a hard copy.
When do I need permission from a student?
Creating a student USI
Under the terms and conditions, an education or training provider must:
- seek the student’s permission before creating a USI on their behalf
- provide a privacy notice to the student, explaining how their personal information will be used.
Searching for a student USI
Providers need a student’s permission to search for their USI. When a provider conducts an existing USI search, the student will receive an automated email or text message stating ‘Your USI was located’.
- To use the ‘existing USI search’ and ‘find USI’ features in the organisation portal to view the student’s details, the student will need to have provided you with permission. If you do not have permission from the student, their USI account will not appear in the search results
- To use the ‘find USI’ feature in the organisation portal to update the student’s details, the student will need to have provided you with permission to update their details.
Verifying a student USI
Providers do not need a student’s permission to verify that their USI is correct. Doing so is a requirement under the Student Identifiers Act 2014.
Transcript permissions for RTOs and VRBs
Viewing a student VET transcript
An RTO must have a student’s permission to view their VET transcript. Find out more about VET transcripts.
VET transcripts include personal information. As such, VET transcripts must not be copied or disclosed to any other person without the student’s consent.
Updating a student VET transcript
RTOs do not need permission from the student to use the NCVER Transcript Update Tool if an amendment is required.
RTOs can only update training they delivered and which has already been reported to NCVER.
Find out more about VET transcript updates, errors or missing information.
RTOs disclosing a student’s USI and VET transcript.
RTOs must seek permission to disclose a student’s USI and/or VET transcript to another RTO.