Set up your password and check questions
For your security, your Unique Student Identifier (USI) account is protected by:
- a password
- two check questions (also known as security questions).
You will need to set these when you create your USI. It is important to create answers to your check questions that you can remember.
If your education or training provider created your USI on your behalf, you need to set your check questions and answers when you first activate your account.
Your USI password
You must choose a valid password which contains:
- a minimum of 9 characters
- 3 of the following character sets:
- lowercase letters (a-z)
- uppercase letters (A-Z)
- numbers (0-9)
- special characters (!,@,#,$,%,^,&,*).
Important facts about your password
- your password cannot be the same as your USI
- keep your password somewhere safe
- you can change your password by logging into the USI Registry System and selecting 'Change your password'.
Check questions and answers
When you create your USI, you will be given a list of check questions to choose from. You can also create your own questions. Your answers must be fewer than 40 characters.
You can change your check questions by logging into the USI Registry System and selecting 'Change check questions'.
When will my check questions be needed?
Your check questions assist in identifying you if:
- you forget your password and need to reset it
- you forget your USI
- you contact our office
- we find a USI account that matches your details.