Create a student USI
Before you start, you need to:
- get the student’s permission to create a USI on their behalf
- ask the student to provide verifiable identification.
Acceptable forms of ID:
- Australian passport
- Australian Visa and non-Australian passport
- Non-Australian Passport (New Zealand)
- Australian birth certificate - please note: a birth certificate extract or commemorative birth certificate will not be accepted
- Australian driver’s licence
- Medicare card
- certificate of registration by descent
- Centrelink concession card
- citizenship certificate
- Aviation-Maritime Security Identification Card
What if the student does not have an acceptable form of identification?
We understand there may be circumstances where a student does not have access to any of the accepted forms of verifiable identification required to create a USI. Education or training providers and VET Admission Bodies (VAB) can apply for and use the DVS override function to assist students without access to verifiable identification to obtain a USI for their studies.
Please refer to the Provider Guide for further information.