Provider onboarding information
Welcome to the Unique Student Identifier (USI). This education and training provider onboarding information helps get you started.
How to connect to the USI Registry System
There are 2 ways to connect:
- Connect via your Student Management System using web services
- Through the USI Organisation Portal. This is suitable for managing small numbers of students.
Note: The functionality to allow Higher Education Providers to access the USI Organisation Portal is not yet available and is currently being adapted. We will notify Higher Education Providers when the Organisation Portal functionality is available and outline the steps needed to apply and connect.
See our easy step by step guide to connect to the USI Registry System.
Functions within the USI Registry System by an entity
|Use DVS override|
|Existing USI search|
|Students can provide permission to:
View organisation reports
USI data and reporting
The USI VET Transcript is a single record of training outcomes from training providers. It includes different states and years.
The records you upload to the National Centre for Vocational Education and Research (NCVER) national VET data collections are used to create transcripts so accuracy is crucial.
For Higher Education Providers
Amendments were made in March 2020 to the Student Identifiers Act 2014 to extend the USI from VET to higher education students, and to allow higher education providers and tertiary admission centres to collect, use and disclose the USI for purposes relating to HESA and/or TEQSA.
Amendments were made in June 2020 to the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA), making it compulsory from 1 January 2021 for new students to have a USI in order to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place and Commonwealth financial assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or OS-HELP).
It’s best to collect and verify USIs at enrolment.
Read more about legislation.
- decided how you’ll connect with the USI Registry System
- followed the steps and connected
- read the legislative requirements and reporting obligations
- subscribed to the USI Provider Bulletin
- ensured the right staff have also subscribed
- included USI information and detail capture in the enrolment form
- developed USI guidance content for your website using the support materials available on the USI website access to help and resources
Stay up to date
The following staff should subscribe to the monthly USI eNews to keep up to date with USI important policy and system changes.
- Administration and enrolment staff
- USI creation and verification staff
- Student services staff
- Student management system staff
- Reporting and compliance staff
USI reporting legislation
- Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015
- Data Provision Requirements 2012
- National VET Data Policy
- Student Identifiers Act 2014
- Student Identifiers (VET Admission Bodies) Instrument 2015
- Student Identifiers (Exemptions) Instrument 2018
- Higher Education Support Act 2003
USI contact centre: 1300 857 536