General – Popular FAQs
What is the USI?
A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number made up of ten letters and numbers. It’s free, easy to create and you only ever need one.
If you enrol in nationally accredited training, your education or training provider will need to know your USI to issue you with your qualification, statement of attainment or award.
ID for USI
Acceptable forms of identification:
- Australian passport
- non-Australian passport (with Australian Visa)
- Australian birth certificate - please note: a birth certificate extract or commemorative birth certificate will not be accepted
- Australian driver’s licence
- Medicare card
- certificate of registration by descent
- Centrelink concession card
- citizenship certificate
Important: The personal details you enter must match those shown on your identification.
Update your details
You can update your details on your USI account by:
- Going to www.usi.gov.au and select “Student Login”
- Agreeing to the terms and conditions and login to your account
- Clicking on Update Personal Details
- Update the required information and click on Next.
Your personal details will now be updated.
What is a VET transcript?
A VET transcript collates nationally recognised training outcomes from 1 January 2015 in a single record.
It can be used for:
- credit transfer or demonstrating pre-requisites for further training
- as a backup if the original documentation is lost and cannot be replaced
- to provide qualifications to employers and licensing bodies
- to reduce unnecessary retraining that can result from lost credentials.
Do you have a translating and interpreting service?
The Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) is available by calling 131 450 (cost of a local call) for people who have difficulty in speaking or understanding English.
You will need to request TIS to contact the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar on 1300 857 536 between 8.30am and 5pm (Australian Central Standard Time) Monday to Friday.
How does USI protect my privacy?
The Student Identifiers Act 2014 and the Privacy Act 1988 outlines how the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar must protect your privacy by:
* the USI Registry System containing minimal personal information
* students control who has access to their USI
* the individual must authorise USI data collection and use.
All privacy enquiries should be directed to the USI team via PolicyDataCompliance@usi.gov.au
I would like a statement of attainment for training I completed prior to 2015.
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) commenced on 1 January 2015. Students who completed nationally recognised vocational education and training prior to that date did not require a USI to be issued with a VET qualification or statement of attainment.
Please contact the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) where you completed training for a copy of your VET qualification or statement of attainment.
If the RTO is no longer operating, you need to contact the relevant Vocational Education and Training (VET) regulator for your State or Territory for further assistance.
I see an error message when I try to log in as a student
Your internet browser may be storing a temporary file created at a time when the USI Registry System was not available.
Try clearing your browser history, cookies and temporary internet files. CTRL+F5 helps clear your internet browser.
You can also try another internet browser or restart your machine.
Why is there no email option in the ‘Contact Us’ page?
We take your privacy seriously. To ensure that your data is protected from fraud and maintain the integrity of the USI, we need to conduct a Proof of Identity (POI) check over the phone before we can answer any questions about your USI or provide assistance on how to create one.
We also take your privacy seriously if we need to assist with verifying ID documents, using a protected help request function within our secure system.
Find out more: The USI and your identification.