Crest of the Australian Government Unique Student Identifier-Logo

The USI and your identification

To create a USI you'll need a valid form of Australian identification.

Acceptable forms of identification:

Important: The personal details you enter must match those shown on your identification.

Documentation Verification Service (DVS)

The USI Registry System uses the Documentation Verification Service (DVS) to verify your details using your identification.

You don’t need to upload a copy of your ID, simply enter the information that appears on the card or document, and the DVS will verify your identity automatically.

We don't keep a record or copy of your ID but we do keep some of your personal information which may also appear on your card or document. View the Student Identifiers Registrar's Privacy Policy for more information about what data we keep.

Troubleshooting name issues

Learn how to troubleshoot some of the common problems our customers encounter whilst using the DVS in the video below:

I don’t have an accepted form of identification

We understand that there may be circumstances where you don’t have access to any of the accepted forms of identification required to create a USI. To assist in these cases, we have several alternate options to ensure that your USI can be created.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students

If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student, you may have an authorised representative complete an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Evidence of Identity form. Examples of authorised representative are:

  • Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community Elder
  • Chairperson, Secretary or Chief Executive Officer of an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation
  • Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community support person
  • School Principal
  • Treating Health Professional or Manager in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Medical Services

Alternative Identification through Education and Training Providers

If you are undertaking training through an eligible provider, they may be able to verify your identity with an alternate form of identification.

Acceptable alternate types of ID include:

  • proof of age card
  • defence force identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force, showing name, date of birth and photo or signature
  • taxation notice of assessment in the applicant’s name/former name and address, less than 2 years old
  • other (such as an internal identification document used by a correctional facility and you will be asked to state the document type after selecting ‘other’).

If you require your details to be updated, the following ID may be used:

  • defence discharge papers stating date of birth and address
  • Australian divorce papers in the applicant’s name or former name
  • Australian marriage certificate, issued by a state or territory government agency in the applicant’s name
  • name change - legal Australian change of name certificate or Australian deed poll certificate

For change of details, most Australian name change documents are accepted.

Please speak with your provider to see if this is an option for you.

Incarcerated Students

If you are currently incarcerated and undertaking training, you may have your Correction or Education Officer, or Training Organisation complete a Incarcerated Student Evidence of Identity form.

Parent or Guardian

If you are a parent or guardian of a student who is under the age of 15 and they do not have the identification needed, contact us for assistance.

Other Circumstances

If you don’t have one of the forms of identification listed above, and don’t meet any of the alternate identification options, please contact us for assistance.

We will assess whether another form of identification is acceptable to create a USI.

Did you find the information you were looking for on this page?
On a scale of 1 to 5, please provide a rating for how useful the information on this page was in answering your question.
Did you find the content on this page easy to understand?
Don’t include personal or financial information. For example your phone number, email or credit card details.

If you need help, please call us on 1300 857 536 or from outside on Australia +61 2 6240 8740. Our contact centre is open between 8:30am-6.30pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time), Monday to Friday (excluding national and South Australian public holidays).


If you would like to provide feedback, please complete the feedback form.

Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR)
Last Modified on Tuesday 25th July 2023 [199]