The USI and your identification
To create a USI you'll need a valid form of Australian identification.
Acceptable forms of identification:
- Australian passport
- non-Australian passport (with Australian Visa)
- Australian birth certificate - please note: a birth certificate extract or commemorative birth certificate will not be accepted
- Australian driver’s licence
- Medicare card
- certificate of registration by descent
- Centrelink concession card
- citizenship certificate
Important: The personal details you enter must match those shown on your identification.
Documentation Verification Service (DVS)
The USI Registry System uses the Documentation Verification Service (DVS) to verify your details using your identification.
You don’t need to upload a copy of your ID, simply enter the information that appears on the card or document, and the DVS will verify your identity automatically.
Troubleshooting name issues
Learn how to troubleshoot some of the common problems our customers encounter whilst using the DVS in the video below:
I don’t have an accepted form of identification
We understand that there may be circumstances where you don’t have access to any of the accepted forms of identification required to create a USI. To assist in these cases, we have several alternate options to ensure that your USI can be created.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student, you may have an authorised representative complete an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Evidence of Identity form. Examples of authorised representative are:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community Elder
- Chairperson, Secretary or Chief Executive Officer of an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community support person
- School Principal
- Treating Health Professional or Manager in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Medical Services
Alternative Identification through Education and Training Providers
If you are undertaking training through an eligible provider, they may be able to verify your identity with an alternate form of identification.
Acceptable alternate types of ID include:
- proof of age card
- defence force identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force, showing name, date of birth and photo or signature
- taxation notice of assessment in the applicant’s name/former name and address, less than 2 years old
- other (such as an internal identification document used by a correctional facility and you will be asked to state the document type after selecting ‘other’).
If you require your details to be updated, the following ID may be used:
- defence discharge papers stating date of birth and address
- Australian divorce papers in the applicant’s name or former name
- Australian marriage certificate, issued by a state or territory government agency in the applicant’s name
- name change - legal Australian change of name certificate or Australian deed poll certificate
For change of details, most Australian name change documents are accepted.
Please speak with your provider to see if this is an option for you.
If you are currently incarcerated and undertaking training, you may have your Correction or Education Officer, or Training Organisation complete a Incarcerated Student Evidence of Identity form.
Parent or Guardian
If you are a parent or guardian of a student who is under the age of 15 and they do not have the identification needed, contact us for assistance.
If you don’t have one of the forms of identification listed above, and don’t meet any of the alternate identification options, please contact us for assistance.
We will assess whether another form of identification is acceptable to create a USI.