Keeping National Training Collection records together— What, When, How?
The delivery of the Transcript Service is a key objective of the Student Identifiers initiative. The Transcript Service will allow USI account holders to generate an online transcript which collates all training details reported to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) that are linked to their USI. It may also make enrolment processes, credit transfers, and entitlement assessments easier for students and training providers.
The online transcript can be:
- Viewed by the account holder
- Downloaded by the account holder (either in full, or partially) as a document they can print or send
- Viewed electronically and downloaded by Training Providers and other eligible providers that have been granted permission by the account holder.
What will be in a Transcript?
The Student Identifiers Regulation 2014 specifies what must be included in an authenticated transcript. A transcript will show the:
- student’s name
- name and identifier of each VET qualification completed after 1 January 2015
- issuer of each VET qualification completed after 1 January 2015
- date the transcript was prepared • name and identifier of each unit of competency or module of a VET course studied after 1 January 2015 and reported by the Training Organisation through AVETMISS
- date the unit or module was commenced and completed • name of the training provider that delivered the training • source of funding for the unit or module
- outcome for each unit or module
What do I do if an error occurs on my Transcript?
This can occur for a number of reasons and is generally easy to fix. Training Providers need to check their records to confirm that the training:
- has been reported against the correct USI
- was undertaken from January 2015 onwards
- was reported correctly in AVETMISS
- was not completed since the Training Organisation last reported to the National Collection
- does not have an exemption After all of that has been checked, a genuine error or omission can be corrected via NCVER’s USI Transcript Update Tool.
- For more information, go to the NCVER website www.ncver.edu.au.
What is the USI Transcript tool?
The USI Transcript Update Tool has been developed by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) and will allow Training Providers to update records, relating to nationally recognised training activity, that they have previously reported via the AVETMISS process. It will allow Training Providers to edit, add or delete records, in cases where there have been reporting errors.
The USI Transcript Update Tool will not replace AVETMISS reporting and training providers must continue to meet their USI reporting obligations when they submit training data into the National VET Data Collection.
To ensure the student’s data remains consistent, any updates/changes made utilising the USI Transcript Update Tool, must also be updated/changed in the Training Organisation’s Student Management System (SMS).
Updated information will be reflected in the student’s USI transcript and Training Providers must notify their students once a correction has been made.
The national VET collections database is updated quarterly for funded activity and annually for fee for service activity. Transcripts reflect the information provided at the last relevant reporting interval for each Training Organisation and may not reflect units or qualifications commenced, completed or changed since the completion of the last reporting cycle. These are not errors.
For information on how to use the USI Transcript Update Tool please refer to the USI fact sheets and Training Providers Quick Guides and the NCVER website www.ncver.edu.au.
Want more information?
There are more helpful Fact Sheets on USI Transcripts in the Training Organisation Quick Guide Series — Transcript Service.
- How to access,download and save a USI Transcript
- How to update USI Transcripts
- Inaccurate Transcript questions from students