Using Digital Identity to create a USI
We are conducting a beta trial of a new trusted government service to prove who you are online.
You can use a Digital Identity to create a Digital Identity to create a USI, login to an existing USI account or access other selected government online services.
Creating a Digital Identity is simple, safe and secure and like doing a 100-point ID check but on your smart device. It is a personal choice and completely voluntary. Once you have your Digital Identity, you can reuse it over and over.
Help us make online government services easier to access.
Before you start
You must set up a myGovID and need:
- a smart device
- to be over 15 years of age
- to apply for yourself, not on behalf of someone else
- a unique personal email address (not shared with anyone)
- two of the following Australian identity documents (your name must match in each):
- driver’s licence or learner’s permit
- birth certificate
- visa (using your foreign passport)
- citizenship certificate
- Medicare card (as a second ID after you have verified one of the documents above).
You can still create a USI without using a Digital Identity.
How to create a USI using a Digital Identity
Follow our step by step guide to create your USI using a Digital Identity
(If you do not meet the myGovID requirements you cannot create a USI with a Digital Identity. You can still use our traditional method to create a USI. More information can be found on our Create a USI page.)
- Go to the USI Student Portal
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- Select Create USI by Digital Identity
- Confirm if you already have a Digital Identity
- Check your eligibility (you cannot create a Digital Identity if these requirements are not met. You can still use the regular method to create a USI)
- Select and login with your identity provider (select myGovID and follow the prompts to set up your Digital Identity or use your existing Digital Identity)
- Provide consent to share with Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Enter your personal details (your name and date of birth will show exactly as they appear in your Digital Identity and cannot be changed)
- Enter your contact details (your email address will be populated with the one you provided for your Digital Identity and cannot be changed – you must then add one more contact method)
- Check and confirm your details
- Set your USI password and check questions
Your USI will now be displayed on the screen and sent to you for your records. Keep this somewhere safe – your USI is your lifelong education number.
Logging in with a Digital Identity
Did you use the same email address for your USI and Digital Identity? If not, you will not be able to login to USI with your Digital Identity.
Follow our step by step guide to login with your USI using a Digital Identity
- go to the USI Student Portal.
- agree to the terms and conditions
- select Login by Digital Identity
- select and login to your identity provider (select myGovID and follow the prompts to set up your Digital Identity or use your existing Digital Identity)
- provide consent to share with Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
You will be redirected back to the USI Student Portal and logged into your USI account.