Using Digital Identity to create a USI
You can create your USI or access your USI account using a Digital Identity.
Digital Identity is a safe, secure and convenient way to prove who you are online.
You can use it on the go, at any time of the day and it can save you time when you want to access online services. Set it up once, and then reuse it whenever you're asked to prove who you are. You can be confident your information is private, protected and secure.
Find out more about Digital Identity.
IMPORTANT: You must create a Digital Identity before you create a USI.
To create a Digital Identity, you will need:
- a smart device
- to be 15 years or older
- to apply for yourself, not on behalf of someone else
- a personal email address (it should not be a shared or work email address)
- two of the following Australian identity documents (your name must match in each):
- driver’s licence or learner’s permit
- passport (not more than three years expired)
- birth certificate
- visa (using your foreign passport)
- citizenship certificate
- Medicare card (as a second ID after you have verified one of the documents above).
If you do not meet the requirements, you cannot create a USI using Digital Identity.
If you can't create a Digital Identity, you can still Get a USI.
How to create a USI using a Digital Identity
Follow our step by step guide to create your USI using a Digital Identity.
Step by step guide to creating a USI with a Digital Identity
- Go to the USI Student Portal
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- Select Create USI by Digital Identity
- Confirm if you already have a Digital Identity
- Check your eligibility (you cannot create a Digital Identity if these requirements are not met. You can still use the regular method to create a USI)
- Select and login with your identity provider (select myGovID and follow the prompts to set up your Digital Identity or use your existing Digital Identity)
- Provide consent to share with Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Enter your personal details (your name and date of birth will show exactly as they appear in your Digital Identity and cannot be changed)
- Enter your contact details (your email address will be populated with the one you provided for your Digital Identity and cannot be changed – you must then add one more contact method)
- Check and confirm your details
- Set your USI password and check questions
Your USI will now be displayed on the screen and sent to you for your records. Keep this somewhere safe – your USI is your lifelong education number.
Login with a Digital Identity
Did you use the same email address for your USI and Digital Identity? If not, you will not be able to login to USI with your Digital Identity.
Follow our step by step guide to login with your USI using a Digital Identity.
Step by step guide to logging in with a Digital Identity
- go to the USI Student Portal
- agree to the terms and conditions
- select Login by Digital Identity
- select and login to your identity provider (select myGovID and follow the prompts to set up your Digital Identity or use your existing Digital Identity)
- provide consent to share with Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
You will be redirected back to the USI Student Portal and logged into your USI account.