The USI is a mandatory data field for reporting nationally recognised training.
Unless exempt, you must collect and verify a student’s USI before you can issue a qualification or statement of attainment for any nationally recognised training undertaken by them.
We strongly recommend that you collect and verify USIs at the time of enrolment. This can save valuable time if you need to confirm details with the student later on.
When do I have to report a USI?
The USI is a mandatory data element of the Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard (AVETMISS). AVETMISS is the national data standard that ensures consistent and accurate capture and reporting of VET information about students. The National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) manages AVETMISS and administers the National VET Provider Collection.
You must report a USI for every student undertaking nationally accredited training whenever you submit AVETMISS data as part of the National VET Provider Collection, unless an exemption applies.
Detailed information on training organisations' USI reporting requirements is set out in NCVER's AVETMISS data as part of the National VET Provider Collection
What do I have to do with student's USIs?
The USI initiative requires that you:
- collect a USI from each student
- verify a USI supplied by a student
- ensure a student has a valid USI before conferring a qualification or statement of attainment on that student
- ensure the security of USIs and related documentation
- destroy any personal information which you collected solely for the purpose of applying for a USI on behalf of a student
- adhere to all legislative requirements under the USI legislative requirements
Are there restrictions on how I use a USI?
You must adhere to the following restrictions when integrating the USI into your business processes. A USI cannot be:
- used as your own student identifier, such as a student number
- be printed on statements of attainment, student results or testamur documents
Standards for Training Organisations
- Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015
- Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) Essential Conditions and Standards for Initial Registration
- Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) Essential Conditions and Standards for Continuing Registration
- National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011
More information about: