The USI is a mandatory data field for reporting nationally recognised training.
Unless exempt, you must collect and verify a student’s USI before you can issue a qualification or statement of attainment for any nationally recognised training undertaken by them.
We strongly recommend that you collect and verify USIs at the time of enrolment. This can save valuable time if you need to confirm details with the student later on.
What are my data reporting obligations?
The data you submit must follow the Vocational Education and Training (VET) data collection and reporting requirements and include the USI for each of your students. The USI is reported to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) and entered in the national data collection.
The USI itself will not affect how frequently data is reported in the future, but it does form part of the Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard AVETMISS 7.0 data collection . AVETMISS is a national data standard that ensures consistent and accurate capture and reporting of VET information about students.
What do I have to do with student's USIs?
The USI initiative requires that you:
- collect a USI from each student
- verify a USI supplied by a student
- ensure a student has a valid USI before conferring a qualification or statement of attainment on that student
- ensure the security of USIs and related documentation
- destroy any personal information which you collected solely for the purpose of applying for a USI on behalf of a student
- adhere to all legislative requirements under the USI legislative requirements
Are there restrictions on how I use a USI?
You must adhere to the following restrictions when integrating the USI into your business processes. A USI cannot be:
- used as your own student identifier, such as a student number
- be printed on statements of attainment, student results or testamur documents
Standards for Training Organisations
- Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015
- Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) Essential Conditions and Standards for Initial Registration
- Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) Essential Conditions and Standards for Continuing Registration
- National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011
More information about: