What is a USI Transcript
USI account holders (students) can use their USI to access their nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) record online in the form of a ‘USI Transcript’. USI Transcripts collate training outcomes completed from 1 January 2015 onwards from different training organisations, across different states and territories and different years in a single record.
Our transcript example page provides information on what a transcript looks like and what is included on it.
The authenticated VET transcript (USI Transcript) service was activated on 22 May 2017.
Benefits and uses of USI Transcripts
A USI Transcript has the same status as qualifications issued by training organisations. It can be used as follows:
- For credit transfer purposes or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.
- As a useful backup if the original documentation is lost and cannot be replaced (e.g. the issuing training organisation is no longer operating).
- To provide your qualifications to employers and licensing bodies.
- Reduces unnecessary retraining that sometimes results from lost credentials.
Nationally Recognised Training
Training organisations who provide Nationally Recognised Training:
- Use the symbol shown below on training certificates, and
- Can be searched for on the myskills website
Training information included in USI Transcripts
USI Transcripts include all non-exempt nationally recognised training completed since 1 January 2015 and held by NCVER and only include courses listed on training.gov.au. Due to the timeframes associated with the national VET collection, it is important to be aware of the following:
Training data used in a USI transcript is updated quarterly or annually, for further information see our training data collection timeframes and USI transcripts page, therefore the USI transcript may need to be read in conjunction with other evidence of VET training, such as qualifications or documentation from the training provider, the training was VET training completed prior to 2015. Students need to rely on the statement of attainment or transcript issued by their training organisation to show evidence of this training. Where qualifications or training documentation is lost, students need to contact the training organisation who delivered the training.
All Higher Education qualifications will not appear on a USI Transcript.
Training delivered in a single day or less before 2018 may not show on a USI transcript as there was a temporary exemption from reporting the USI (some training organisations chose to report training during this period, so it may appear on the USI Transcript).
For more information on reporting government-funded training activity, see the AVETMISS: Quarterly Reporting fact sheet.
Transcript inclusions and example
Our transcript example page provides information on what a transcript looks like and what is included on it. Be aware that making a document that is not an authenticated VET transcript (USI Transcript) and claiming it to be an authenticated VET transcript carries serious penalties and is an offence under the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth).
The full name of the USI account holder (this is the only information drawn from the USI account). Preferred names will not appear
Nationally recognised training (that has not been exempt and are listed on training.gov.au)
The name, outcome, training organisation and date of commencement and completion for all courses and units completed since 1 January 2015. Please check the USI Transcript-Available Data announcement above to see what training data is available
The name, outcome, training organisation and date of commencement and completion for all units of competency commenced but not completed since 1 January 2015 (shown as continuing). Please check the USI Transcript-Available Data announcement above to see what training data is available
The source of funding for the training
For further information on training data timeframes, see our training data collection timeframes and USI transcripts page.
Inaccurate or incomplete USI Transcripts
Sometimes, there may be valid reasons why training is not shown in the transcript, including the:
- training organisation has an exemption from reporting particular types of training, or
- training organisation was unable to collect or verify the USI, or
Options where training data on a USI Transcript is incorrect:
- STUDENTS: If something seems to be missing or wrong on your USI Transcript we suggest you read our fact sheet on possible errors first; then contact the training organisation who delivered the training to confirm and, if necessary, seek a correction. If a correction is required to training completed with more than one training organisation, you will need to contact each of them individually.
- TRAINING ORGANISATIONS: Can only make corrections or update records they have lodged themselves which is actioned via the USI Transcript Update Tool. They cannot update training records a student has completed with a different training organisation.
- TRAINING ORGANISATION NO LONGER OPERATING: If the issuing training organisation is no longer operating, the relevant VET regulator may be able to assist in some circumstances. To find the regulator for the training organisation, go to www.training.gov.au – generally, where the training was completed in:
- Victoria, contact: Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA)
- Western Australia, contact: Western Australian Training Accreditation Council (WA TAC)
- The remainder of the country, contact: Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)
Corrections to training records may take a couple of days depending on the complexity of the matter.
IMPORTANT: The Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar and the NCVER are unable to make any corrections to a USI Transcript.
Under the Student Identifiers Registrar’s terms and conditions, training organisations applying for a USI on behalf of an individual must give the individual a privacy notice explaining how their personal information will be used.
An authenticated USI Transcript contains personal information of the individual student, as defined in section 6 of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This means USI Transcripts must not be copied or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the individual student.
For further information, please refer to our privacy page.