International students and students studying overseas
International students studying in Australia with an Australian education or training provider need to get a USI. From 1 January 2023, all higher education students, including international students studying in Australia, must have a USI to graduate and receive their award.
Students travelling to Australia to study are issued with an Australian visa. To satisfy the Australian Government’s identification requirements, you must land in Australia and go through customs before you can create a USI using your passport as a form of ID.
International students who are studying outside Australia with an Australian education or training provider do not need a USI. This also applies to New Zealand citizens.
Australian students studying overseas
Australian students studying overseas with an Australian education or training provider need to get a USI.
New Zealand students
Students from New Zealand who plan to study in Australia need to get a USI. To satisfy the Australian Government’s identification requirements, you must land in Australia and go through customs before you can create a USI using your passport as a form of ID.
Higher education students from New Zealand who are eligible for a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) but cannot enter Australia due to COVID restrictions should ask their higher education provider to assist them to apply for a temporary USI. Please contact your university and ask them to email the following information to PolicyDataCompliance@usi.gov.au:
- student full name (first and last name)
- student date of birth
- university student will be attending
- university contact officer
- university contact details (phone or email)
- date student is expected to arrive in Australia (estimate)
- is the student entitled to receive a Commonwealth Supported Placement?
Once the information is received, we will liaise directly with your university to assign you a temporary USI.
Temporary USIs cannot be used for verification purposes. Once you arrive in Australia you will need to create your own USI and provide this to your university.
International students who have left Australia
Students who no longer live in Australia might need our assistance to create a USI.
Go to the Student Login and follow the steps to create a USI.
If you receive a notification that your details cannot be verified:
- you will be taken back to the personal details page
- ensure your personal and identification details are correct and confirm your identity
- repeat this step until you receive a notification that “you have exceeded the number of attempts allowed for this form of ID”.
A link to submit a Help Request will be displayed:
- complete the Help Request and attach your ID documents:
- international passport
- visa grant notice
- write down the reference number for your own records.