A USI account holder can authorise another person or organisation to be their representative to:
- make enquiries on the USI account holder’s behalf
- update the USI account holder’s personal details
- update the USI account holder’s contact details
- get a copy of the USI account holder’s VET transcript.
This is called Authorised Representation.
A USI account holder can give permission to an authorised representative for a nominated period of time or on an ongoing basis.
The authorised representative can be modified or cancelled by the USI account holder at any time.
One-off versus ongoing authorised representation
There are two ways you can arrange an authorised representative:
- Phone us with your representative, complete the usual proof of identity check questions, and verbally authorise us to speak to your representative during that phone call. This is considered ‘one-off’ authorisation and is only valid during that phone call.
- Complete an Authorised Representative form where you can choose for the person or organisation named on the form to be your representative for a specific period (e.g. several months) or ongoing until you provide further notice.
If you decide to complete an Authorised Representative form for a specified time, it is important you understand that:
- you will be disclosing your USI to the person or organisation,
- that person or organisation may make enquiries or update any of your personal details associated with your USI account, and
- the person you provide authority to is required to conduct a proof of identity check about you and themselves when they contact the OSIR which must exactly match the details submitted on the form.
We may ask you to review your authorisaiton from time to time, to ensure the arrangement is still suitable. If you think your authorisation is being misused, it is important that you contact us.
Children under the age of 15
If you are a parent or guardian and are seeking to make enquiries for children under the age of 15, please contact us on 1300 857 536. You will be asked to provide proof of identity for that child. Once proof of identity is confirmed, we will be able to discuss and action the following with you:
- look up and verify details of the USI account
- update personal and contact information
- review and discuss details of the student’s USI Transcript
- action a Help Request.
I don’t remember my USI, can I still submit an Authorised Representative form?
If you or your authorised representative do not have a copy of your USI, you can still submit an Authorised Representative form. Please include as many details as you can to help us find your USI account.
If you do not have an existing USI, you’ll need to create one before we can action any requests for an authorised representative.
What do I do if the USI account holder is unable to sign the Authorised Representative form due to incapacity?
If the USI account holder is unable to sign this form due to incapacity, the authorised representative may sign the declaration on their behalf. We will require a certified copy of either the Power of Attorney or Guardianship Order document to be submitted with the Authorised Representative form.
If the USI account holder is unable to sign this form due to incapacity, please ensure you complete of the Declaration: Power of Attorney section of the form.
Authorised Representative modification or cancellation form
A USI account holder can modify or cancel an active authorised representative on their account at any time.
To modify or cancel an existing authorised representative, please complete and submit the Authorised Representative cancellation form.
Please submit all forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 10 business days for your requests to be actioned and to receive an email response.