Crest of the Australian Government Unique Student Identifier-Logo

Exemptions from the USI

All Vocational Education and Training (VET) and Higher Education students must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) if they are studying in Australia, or with an Australian provider. 

Students may apply for an exemption from having a USI, however they must understand the consequences if they do not have a USI.  

When applying for Commonwealth financial assistance or a Commonwealth supported place you must have a USI. Commonwealth financial assistance includes: 

International and Offshore Students 

International students completing all or some of their studies in Australia must have a USI, unless granted an exemption. 

International students do not require a USI if they completed all their study outside of Australia.

International higher education students do not require a USI if they commenced their study before 1 January 2023 and are not in Australia to receive their award. 

Students: refer to the International students and students studying overseas page for more information.  

Education or training providers: more information can be found at International Students – Exemptions from the USI.

Requesting an exemption from the USI 

Students wishing to apply for an exemption from having a USI can apply here. You will need to provide the reasons you are applying for an exemption and accept the listed consequences of not having a USI. 

Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR)
Last Modified on Friday 9th February 2024 [276]