- create a USI on behalf of a student
- collect a USI
- verify a USI
- update student details
- find a USI
- check for duplicate USIs
- view transcripts
- provide identity document verification.
Before applying for a USI on behalf of a student, you must obtain their permission. Under the Student Identifiers Registrar’s terms and conditions you are also required to give the student a privacy notice explaining how their personal information will be used.
Once a USI is created on behalf of a student, they will receive a notification, to their preferred contact method, containing their USI number and a link to activate their account by setting their password and check questions.
Training organisations cannot resume an application started by a student.
Training organisations are responsible for collecting and recording student’s USIs, and are not allowed to issue a qualification or statement of attainment unless the student has a USI or the student or the training organisation has an exemption.
We recommend collecting your student’s USIs at enrolment before training commences, especially for short courses.
You will need to collect the student's name for enrolment exactly as it appears in their USI account, otherwise, you will have difficulty verifying their USI. You may need extra name fields in your Student Management System (SMS) including the one name only field.
- first name
- last name
- date of birth.
- one by one through the USI Registry System
- one by one through your SMS if it has a connection to the USI Registry System
- in batches of up to 500 through your SMS if it has a connection to the USI Registry System.
- that the USI contains the correct number and type of characters. This check results in a 'valid' or 'invalid' result.
- the student's first name, last name and date of birth. This check returns a 'match' or 'no match' result. If a 'no match' occurs, the student may have altered their personal information.
If a student changes their details in their USI account, your SMS will not be updated as the USI Registry System does not push information into a SMS. Students can log into their USI account and email their details to you. Prompting students to do this is a good way to ensure details entered in an enrolment form match the details in their USI account.
The 'Find' function allows training organisations and VET Related Bodies (VRBs) that have been given permission by a student in the USI Registry System, to find their USI, view and/or update the student’s personal and contact details or view their USI Transcript.
The ‘Existing USI Search’ function allows training organisations to search for an existing USI but not make any changes to a student’s details.
This function should be used before creating a USI on behalf of a student to first determine if they already has a USI (if the student is unsure) or if you are having trouble verifying a student‘s USI.
Make sure you have the student’s permission prior to using this function.
If you are using an SMS, you will need to use the ‘Locate USI’ function.
Note: Using the 'Existing USI Search' and 'Locate USI' functions will generate an email or SMS/text message to the student notifying them that you have located their USI.
- If a unique match is found, the student’s USI will be displayed.
- If more than one USI record is found, a message will be displayed advising how many matching USI records have been found and you will then be asked to refine your search by inserting additional optional criteria.
- If there is no match or you entered the details incorrectly, a ‘No USI Record Found’ message will be displayed. You may need to contact the student to confirm the details used to create their USI.
- If they have a USI, but have forgotten it, you can direct them to the Find your USI page to retrieve their USI. Once they have logged into their account, they will be able to grant permissions for you to view their details.
When creating a USI, the USI Registry System will check existing accounts and advise if the student has an existing USI. If a training organisation or student becomes aware that they may have multiple USIs, they need to report the issue to the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR). The OSIR will work with the relevant parties to resolve the issue and advise the outcome.
A student can give you permission to view their USI Transcript.
Training organisations can only use the USI Transcript Update Tool to update training delivered by their organisation.
The Document Verification Service (DVS) is a secure, online system managed by the Department of Home Affairs. The DVS checks that the information entered into the USI Registry System from an acceptable form of ID is valid.
The USI creates a number that is unique to each individual student. The USI application process aims to reduce the possibility of multiple USIs being allocated to a student or false identities and inaccurate records being created. The process ensures that the correct and legal version of a student’s name is recorded against their USI, rather than a misspelled, abbreviated or shortened version of the name.
Most students who need a USI will have at least one form of acceptable ID. However, a very small proportion of students with special circumstances may not have the form of ID needed for the DVS check to complete the USI application process. In these cases, the USI Registry System includes a DVS override function, which training organisations can apply to have access to.
The DVS override function is only to be used by training organisations when absolutely necessary.