USI technical services contract and Web service versioning policy
To establish web service functionality, along with other details, you will need the USI Registry System Technical Services Contract.
All Technical Services Contracts should be read in conjunction with the Policy and Procedures for Web Service Versioning for the USI Registry System. The current version of the Technical Services Contract (TSC) is V 2.0, effective from October 2015.
Changes to the USI Registry System deployed 25 June 2015 were breaking changes.
All systems must use Technical Services Contract Version 2.0 from the end of October 2016.
A training organisation can tailor the design of their SMS according to their business operations to:
- Capture a student’s USI where the student already has a USI, either created themselves on line or created for them by a predecessor training organisation, and verify that provided USI against the USI Registry System;
- Include a USI ‘create’ function in their web services enabled system which negates the need to verify the USI for that student.
SMS reporting requirements
A training organisation required to report under the Total VET Reporting Initiative and using a Student Management System (SMS) will need to ensure their system is enabled to comply with:
- The Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standards (AVETMISS) 7.0, which includes the USI data field
- The Student Identifiers Act 2014. Under the SI Act, training organisations are required to record a USI in the training records for their students and verify against the USI Registry System that the USI they have recorded for a student is the correct USI for that student.
To assist training organisations that wish to continue to use their SMS for the purposes of AVETMISS reporting and SI Act compliance, the USI Registrar has developed a Web Services component that enables system to system web services calls between Student Management Systems (SMS) and the USI Registry System for a number of functions.
The services allow an authorised consumer to perform the following actions:
- Create a USI record for an individual and receive an immediate response
- Submit a batch of USI creation requests for processing
- Retrieve the results of a previously submitted batch request
- Verify a USI for an individual and receive an immediate response
- Verify a batch of USIs and receive an immediate response.