Crest of the Australian Government Unique Student Identifier-Logo

Alternative Proof of Identification Documents for DVS Override

We understand some students may not have had their birth registered or have access to one of the accepted ID documents. In certain circumstances, an authorised provider can apply for, and use the DVS override function to assist students without access to ID to obtain a USI for their studies.

DVS Override for education and training providers

Students who don’t have the identification needed to get a USI can be assisted by approved education and training providers.

Providers can get approval to override the Document Verification Service by completing a system access request form and selecting the ‘DVS override’ option.

Once approved, providers can then use the DVS override for students who have an acceptable alternative photo/date of birth identification document.

It is important to enter the name of the student exactly as it appears on the identification.

Alternative Identification for DVS Override

Proof of age cards can be used for DVS overrides as they are a form of photo identification and include the student’s full name and date of birth. 

Proof of age cards can be issued by state and territory authorities to people 18 years old or older. They are known by different names in different states: 

  • photo card (NSW) 
  • proof of age card (VIC) 
  • adult proof of age card (QLD) 
  • proof of age card (WA) 
  • proof of age card (SA) 
  • personal information card (TAS) 
  • evidence of age card (NT) 
  • proof of age card (ACT). 

Other acceptable types of ID include: 

  • Defence Force identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force, showing name, date of birth and photo or signature
  • taxation notice of assessment in the applicant’s name/former name and address, less than 2 years old 
  • other (such as an internal identification document used by a correctional facility and you will be asked to state the document type after selecting ‘other’)
  • State government document.

If a student requires their details to be updated, the following ID may be used: 

  • defence discharge papers stating date of birth and address 
  • Australian divorce papers in the applicant’s name or former name 
  • Australian marriage certificate, issued by a state or territory government agency in the applicant’s name, less than 12 months old 
  • name change - legal Australian change of name certificate or Australian deed poll certificate  

For change of details, most Australian name change documents now verify through the DVS System.

Authorised Referees 

In some cases, an authorised referee may be able to assist a student with verifying their identity by completing one of the following forms: 

Examples of authorised referees for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students include: 

  • Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community Elder 
  • Chairperson, Secretary or Chief Executive Officer of an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation 
  • Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community support person 
  • School Principal  
  • Treating Health Professional or Manager in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Medical Services 
  • Incarcerated students may have their identity verified by their Correction or Education Officer, or Training Organisation. 

Special Circumstances 

For students who do not meet the above criteria, but are experiencing special circumstances where they do not have the identification needed, providers may email

We will assess whether another form of identification is acceptable to create a USI. 

Third Party Authorisation 

Once a student has been successfully identified and had their USI created, they can choose another person or organisation to be their representative to communicate with the office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR) on their behalf. This may be useful in situations where the student is unable to make contact with us, such as incarcerated students.  

There are two ways a student can arrange third party authorisation: 

  • Phone us with their representative, complete the usual proof of identity check questions, and verbally authorise us to speak to their representative during that phone call. This is considered ‘one-off’ authorisation and is only valid during that phone call. 
  • Complete a Third Party Authorisation form where the student can choose a person or organisation to be their representative for a specific period (e.g. several months) or ongoing until they provide further notice. 

For more information on Third Party Authorisation, please see our forms page

Was this page helpful?

If you need help, please call us on 1300 857 536 or from outside on Australia +61 2 6240 8740. Our contact centre is open between 8:30am-6.30pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time), Monday to Friday (excluding national and South Australian public holidays).


If you would like to provide feedback, please complete the feedback form.

Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR)
Last Modified on Monday 29th August 2022 [145]