This bulletin includes:
- Upcoming System Enhancements
- Improved USI Search function will be available via RTO Student Management Systems/Web Services
- Inclusion of Unspecified Gender within the USI Registry System
- Spring into Reporting early this year – extra staff on RTO line to help during September
- USI Webinar for RTOs 25 August– Still time to register!
Upcoming System Enhancements
The USI Office has been working on improving functionality of the Organisation Portal and the RTO Student Management Systems via Web Services. These changes are scheduled for activation in early September 2016.
Improved USI Search function will be available via RTO Student
Management Systems/Web Services
An improved Existing USI Search function which enables RTOs to retrieve a USI more successfully was made available to RTOs using the Organisation Portal earlier this year and has proven to be very effective.
Similar functionality will soon be available through your RTO Student Management System (SMS) via Web Services.
RTOs will be able to use their SMS to search and retrieve existing USIs for students without having to match all personal and contact details exactly as they appear in the student’s USI account.
Note Carefully - RTOs must confirm they have the student’s permission to locate the USI using this tool and any USI found will activate a notification to the email address or mobile number of the student account holder including the name of the relevant RTO.
Important: The USI Office has received many calls from students concerned about privacy as they do not recognise the name in the notification that is sent to them each time an RTO uses this function. RTOs should advise or advertise the name that they have entered into the USI Registry System, this will ensure students understand that it is you who is retrieving their USI.
RTOs may not see any difference to the Locate USI function display in their Student Management System but the rules behind the search will be different. The following explains which fields are mandatory, additional and no longer required.
Under the ‘Locate USI’ via SMS the following personal details will be mandatory.
- First Name and Family Name (or Single Name for individuals without a separate First Name and Family Name)
- Date of Birth
RTOs may also need to enter at least one of the following additional criteria:
- Middle Name (not required for single name)
- Mobile Phone
- Town/City of Birth
The following fields are no longer required and can be left blank, however if information is provided, it will not be taken into account by the search.
- Country of Birth
- Home Phone
- Country of Residence
- Australian Address
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Suburb Town City
- Post Code
- International Address
Note: Although the above information will not be taken into account by the USI Registry System it may be a requirement of the SMS to enter the details.
RTOs should remind students to provide the details which they provided when they created or last updated their USI account.
- If a unique match is found, the student’s USI will be displayed.
- If more than one USI record is found, a message will be provided advising how many matching USI records have been found and RTOs will be asked to refine the search by including additional criteria.
- If there is no match or details have been entered incorrectly, a ‘No USI Record Found’ message will be displayed. In this instance, check for keying errors and contact the student to confirm the details used to create their USI.
Inclusion of Unspecified Gender within the USI Registry System
The USI Office is currently implementing changes to allow the entry of Unspecified as a gender within the USI Registry System. This change better aligns the USI Registry System with the Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender.
RTOs will now be able to select Unspecified as a gender when they are creating or updating a student’s USI on their behalf using the USI Organisation Portal.
Please note no documentation is required to prove gender.
Students will also be able to select Unspecified gender when creating or updating their own USI following this change.
Spring into Reporting early this year – extra staff on RTO line to help during September
To help RTOs avoid delays in end of year AVETMISS reporting the USI Office staff will be increased specially to assist RTOs troubleshooting verification, data cleansing and USI creation issues during September.
The USI Office recommends that USIs be collected and verified at enrolment or as soon as possible thereafter. In 2015 a number of RTOs experienced difficulties contacting their students when these activities were deferred to the end of the course or end of the year.
This will help ensure that RTOs are well positioned for AVETMISS reporting and allow them to focus on end of year activities including the issuing of qualifications.
RTOs can also refer to the Help Centre on the USI website for FAQs and other useful online resources.
USI Webinar for RTOs 25 August – Still time to register!
There is still time to register for the RTO webinar running tomorrow, Thursday 25 August at 2 pm AEST.
The webinar includes:
• Demonstration and tips for using new system tools for RTOs and students
• Preview of transcript and correction functions
• Expert tips from the Operations Team on USI troubleshooting
RTOs that were not able to attend the face to face workshops in June or the first webinar earlier this month can still tune in and participate in the last webinar session in this series tomorrow.
To register, please visit the USI website.