With your help, over 1.7 million USIs have been created. Thank you for your efforts in helping to introduce this important reform.
Most USIs have been created by students themselves but RTOs have also created over 290,000 USIs. A few key things to remember, in order to avoid unnecessary effort or confusion when offering to create USIs for your students, are:
- Ask your student if they have already created a USI. Do not create one if they have. You can help them to find a forgotten USI.
- If they do not have a USI, you MUST seek and record the student’s permission when you create a USI on their behalf.
- Ensure that they know you are creating a USI or have created a USI on their behalf. While most of the information you need to create a USI is similar to that required for the standard enrolment process, you should check this data is up to date.
Training Organisations must collect and verify a student’s USI before conferring a qualification or Statement of Attainment unless a specific exemption applies. You should undertake verification during or soon after enrolment as this is the easiest time to work with the student to address any issues.
Even if you do not create a USI on a student’s behalf, you must collect and verify a student’s USI before conferring a qualification or statement of attainment unless a specific exemption applies. More information on exemptions can be found here.
We’ve got some handy tips and lessons learned that you may find useful.
New tools to help Training Organisations
You can now ‘LOCATE’ a USI!
You can now ‘Locate’ your student’s USI. This function will help you retrieve a USI made by the student or another RTO. To successfully locate a USI, you will need to get the student’s consent and enter all their personal and contact details correctly. The details must match those previously entered into the USI Registry System. More Information.
New Self Service Reporting Tool
A new Self Service Reporting tool is now available in the USI Registry System. You will now be able to run standard reports that have been prepared by the USI Office. The reports include how many USIs have been created by your Training Organisation and how many USIs have been verified. More Information.
Updated User Guide Available
The USI User Guide for Organisations is now updated to reflect the new tools and changes in the USI Registry System. Access it here.
Stay Connected, Stay Informed!
- Keep up to date with latest updates at www.usi.gov.au
- See our USI Help Centre for assistance – it’s a great resource when getting ready for the USI and includes step-by-step tutorials and ‘how to’ videos for RTO staff.
- Or go to Contact Us where you can submit an enquiry or use our chat function. Alternatively give us a call on 13 38 73 or email us at email@example.com.
Acting Student Identifiers Registrar
Department of Education and Training