Crest of the Australian Government Unique Student Identifier-Logo

Higher education student FAQs about the USI

What is the USI? 

A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is your lifelong education number. If you are doing nationally recognised training or studying at a tertiary institution, you need a USI. 

When do I need to get a USI? 

You should get a USI as soon as possible. If you’re seeking financial assistance for study, you need a USI.  

Do I need a USI to graduate? 

Yes, if you intend to graduate in 2023 or beyond, you need a USI to get your degree. 

What do I do with my USI? 

Your Tertiary Admission Centre or university will ask for your USI before census date. Keep your USI in a safe place and update your details if they change. 

Should I create my USI with personal contact details or school/work contact details? 

As it's your personal education number, you should set up your USI using a personal email address. It should not be a shared or work email address. 

I have a USI from a VET course. Do I need another USI for uni? 

No. If you did any Vocational Education and Training (VET) after 2015, you will already have a USI. You can find your USI now or call 1300 857 536 for help. 

Do I need a USI to get financial assistance? 

You need a USI if you’re applying for commonwealth financial assistance (eg HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, OS-HELP, SA-HELP).  

I’m not seeking financial assistance. Do full fee paying students have to get a USI? 

By 2023, all students will need to have a USI to get their Higher Education Award (degree/qualification/certificate). If you plan on graduating in 2023 or beyond, you need a USI, regardless of your financial payment choice. Get one now

Can I have my higher education qualifications on my transcript? Will my degree show on my transcript? 

The VET transcript only includes nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) awarded since 2015. It does not include any higher education qualifications. 

I am an international student – do I need a USI? 

International students studying in Australia and planning to graduate in 2023 or beyond need a USI. International students must land in Australia and go through customs before they can create a USI.

Offshore international students do not require a USI if they completed all their study outside of Australia.

Offshore international higher education students do not require a USI if they completed all their study before 1 January 2023 and are not in Australia at the time of conferral. 

Was this page helpful?

If you need help, please call us on 1300 857 536 or from outside on Australia +61 2 6240 8740. Our contact centre is open between 8:30am-6.30pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time), Monday to Friday (excluding national and South Australian public holidays).


If you would like to provide feedback, please complete the feedback form.

Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR)
Last Modified on Friday 2nd December 2022 [256]