What will web services enable me to do?
Web services will enable your Student Management System (SMS) to interface with the USI Registry System and will transfer all the required details to create a USI. Single or multiple USIs can be created at any time. Processing comprises checking the personal and contact details to ensure that the USI has not been created previously for this student and the form of ID that was submitted is valid.
I want to know how to use web services to connect to the USI Registry System?
To establish web service functionality you will need the Technical Services Contract which includes details of the available USI web services. These services allow an authorised consumer to perform the following actions:
- Create a USI record for an individual and receive an immediate response
- Submit a batch of USI creation requests for processing
- Retrieve the results of a previously submitted batch request
- Verify a USI for an individual and receive an immediate response
- Verify a batch of USIs and receive an immediate response.
What happens after I submit my USI Authentication Developers Kit (ADK) form
The Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar will send you the USI Developers Kit which includes test environment credentials and org codes, checksum algorithm, technical service contract, a web services presentation and other useful web service testing information.
Give permission to a Training Organisation step by step
Students can give training organisations access to view their records by logging into their USI account and selecting ‘Provide your USI’.
Here you have two options to find your Training Organisation – you can search for them using your Training Organisation’s Code (commonly known as an RTO Code) or you can search using their name
Enter your Training Organisation’s Code and select ‘Search’. If you don’t know your training organisation’s RTO Code and you can’t find them when you search on their name, you may be able to locate them on training.gov.au or you could ask your Training Organisation to give you their RTO Code.
Tick which permissions box you would like to give your RTOs access to, set the expiry date and then hit 'Save'.
What does 'Data matching' mean?
There are one or more USI records that match the personal details Check with the student to see if they already have a USI. The student can use the forgotten USI function on the USI Student Registry system to find their USI.
If the student definitely does not have a USI, contact the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar to investigate.
Where is my training data stored?
The information in the USI transcript comes from the data that each training provider submits about their enrolments and the training they deliver to the National VET Data Collection which is managed by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER).
Training providers must submit this data at least once a year, although many submit it more frequently, especially when they deliver training paid for by government.
What information is included in a transcript?
All nationally recognised training including nationally accredited training reported by training providers will appear on a USI Transcript. The USI Transcript should include the following information:
- The full name of the USI account holder (this is the only information drawn from the USI account)
- The name of all the nationally recognised training completed or commenced since 2015 and available as part of the national VET collection. The full list of available annual and quarterly data that is currently included in a transcript is shown in the USI Transcript - Available Data information box at the top of this page.
- The name of all units of competency and modules in which the individual enrolled and
- their outcome, for example whether the competency was achieved or not;
- the training providers that delivered them;
- the date they were commenced and completed; and
- an indication of their source of funding that is, whether individuals paid for their own training, or received training that was subsidised by government.
Training providers report either quarterly or annually to the national VET collections, so there will always be a time lag in displaying recently completed training. Therefore, USI Transcripts should be read in conjunction with other evidence of training.
Can hyphens and apostrophes be included in USI name fields?
Yes, hyphens and apostrophes can be included in the USI name fields, as long as the student has a form of ID that reflects those characters in the name. If the ID has characters that seem not to be accepted by the USI system, call us on 1300 857 536.