Transcript service readiness checklist for training organisations
Being able to view transcripts can help with enrolments, credit transfers and entitlement assessments and troubleshooting transcript queries.
Follow the steps below to make sure you and your staff are familiar with the USI Transcript Service.
Do you have access to the USI Organisation Portal?
Training organisations can only access the USI Transcript Service via the USI Organisation Portal, not through a student management system.
Follow the step by step guide to access the USI Registry System. Once system access is granted, you will need to have a digital identity and be authorised through Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) to act on behalf of your organisation. You must have permission from students to access their USI Transcript. The Student Quick Guide outlines how students can set permission.
Are you registered for NCVER’s AVETMISS Validation Software (AVS)?
To access the USI Transcript Update Tool you must be registered for AVS.
The web-based AVETMISS Validation Software (AVS) is a file validation and data submission system designed for training organisations and agencies to provide data to the national VET collections, submit USI transcript additions, and register nil returns for a collection period.
If you submit AVETMISS data directly to NCVER, you are registered to use AVS. Those submitting via state training authorities and boards of studies may not already be registered.
Follow the instructions on the NCVER website to register.
Are you familiar with the USI Transcript Update Tool?
The USI Transcript Update Tool allows you to make corrections to data previously reported by your RTO to the national VET collections.
The Tool allows you to edit, add or delete records, in cases where there have been reporting errors. Updated information will be reflected in the student’s USI Transcript and training organisations must notify their students once confirmation has been received from NCVER that a correction has been made.
RTOs can only use the USI Transcript Update Tool to update their students’ training activity for past collections. The USI Transcript Update Tool does not allow you to edit or add records which have an Activity Start Date within the current collection year. These records should be corrected/added in the next VET data collection via usual AVETMISS reporting mechanisms.
While we provide clear information to students on what is included and excluded from their transcript, some students may request changes which you cannot make e.g. changes to training delivered by another RTO.
When updates are made to state funded or VET delivered in secondary schools training activity, an email confirmation will be sent to the relevant administering state training authority or board of studies. The relevant VET Regulator may also be notified
Do you know what should be in a USI Transcript?
A USI Transcript includes the following:
- The full name of the USI account holder
- The name of all the nationally recognised VET qualifications completed since 2015 and the training organisations that issued them
- The name of all units of competency in which the individual enrolled and:
- their outcome, for example whether the competency was achieved or not
- the training organisations that delivered them
- the date they were commenced and completed
- an indication of their source of funding that is, whether individuals paid for their own training, or received training that was subsidised by government.
RTOs are the first point of contact for student enquiries regarding queries on their USI Transcript, so it is important that you and your staff are prepared for inaccurate transcript queries.
Do you know your reporting obligations?
You can avoid being non-compliant by:
- Collecting, verifying or creating USIs on behalf of your students at enrolment
- Following up quickly on any problems with collecting, verifying or creating USIs so you don’t lose contact with your students, especially international students studying onshore
- Investigating and addressing any warnings you might receive when you are submitting your AVETMISS data.
If you are unsure about the process, contact us on 1300 857 536 or email@example.com.
Questions about AVETMISS reporting requirements or AVS or the USI Transcript Update Tool should be directed to NCVER.
Do you educate students on the benefits of giving you permission to view their USI Transcript?
You will benefit from having permission to view a student’s transcript for the purpose of:
- assessing credit transfers
- conducting entitlement assessments
- troubleshooting transcript errors.
It is optional for students and they can remove or modify permissions at any time.
- Refer students to the Student Quick Guide
- Link students to more information on our website
- Include our website in your materials.