Where a student, impacted by Coronavirus (COVID-19), is unable to enter Australia and create their own USI, RTO and VET Admission Bodies (VAB) may create the USI on the student’s behalf. If the student does not have a Document Verification Service (DVS) verifiable form of identification, the USI can be created using the ‘DVS override function’ in accordance with the following provisions.
RTO application for the DVS override function
Where the RTO or VAB does not already have access to the DVS override function they:
- May apply following the steps outlined in the DVS override fact sheet
- Must comply with the DVS override terms and conditions
- When completing the system access request form, under the heading ‘Describe the cohorts of students you train that are likely to have been issued an accepted DVS form of ID’ ensure the key word ‘NCOV’ is included in the description.
Applying for a USI on behalf of a student
- Before an RTO applies for a USI on behalf of a student, they are required under the Student Identifiers Registrar’s terms and conditions to give the student a Privacy Notice explaining how their personal information will be used.
- When actioning the DVS override, RTOs are to review the DVS override alternative proof of identity guidelines.
- When keying the DVS override decision in the USI Organisation Portal, the following details must be recorded in the ‘Evidence of identity’ section:
- Document type: DVS Override
- Non-DVS Document Type: Other
- Description: NCOV