This Fact Sheet provides basic information for training organisations about using Web Services to access the Unique Student Identifier (USI).
USI Unique Student Identifier
Accessing the USI Registry System as a Training Organisation
All training organisations can access the USI Registry System using Web Services that enable system to system functions between Student Management Systems (SMS) and the USI Registry. A Web Services connection with the USI Registry enables you to integrate USI functions with your broader enrolment and SMSs. This is the easiest way to manage USI functions, especially for training organisations with a large number of students. To establish Web Service functionality, you will need to work with the supplier of your SMS to integrate the USI with your system.
- Access to Web Services will allow the following functionality:
- Create a USI record for an individual and receive an immediate response;
- Submit bulk USI creation requests for processing;
- Retrieve the results of a previously submitted bulk creation request;
- Verify a USI for an individual and receive an immediate response; and
- Verify bulk USIs.
Before you can access the USI Registry System using Web Services, you will need to:
- be registered with your Vocational Education and Training Regulator and be included on the training.gov.au website. It is important to ensure your details are correct and up to date;
- have an Australian Business Number;
- have a Device AUSkey. In the first instance you must identify your AUSkey Administrator who can issue your Device AUSkey or nominate an Administrator within your organisation who will need to set up and activate your AUSkey with the Australian Business Register (ABR);
- have a tested SMS implemented in the workplace; and
- apply to the USI Registrar for access to Web Services via the USI website.
For more information on how a training organisation can request access to the USI Registry System, please visit usi.gov.au.
Permission for training organisations and their individual staff members to access USI functions will be managed using AUSkeys. An AUSkey is a standard authentication requirement for conducting Business to Government and Government to Government communication over the internet (e.g. for communicating with the Australian Taxation Office). The process to obtain an AUSkey is managed by the ABR and should be quick. You will need to identify whether or not you have an AUSkey Administrator. In some instances this person will work in your accounts or finance area.
For more information on how to apply for an AUSkey, please visit abr.gov.au.
The most common functions used by training organisations will be ‘Create a USI on behalf of a student’ and ‘Verify a USI’. You must have the student’s permission to create a USI on their behalf.
Create a USI
Step 1 Follow the prompts within your SMS to create a USI.
- You will be prompted to enter the following details for the student:
- First Name and Family Name or Single Name (where applicable);
- Date of Birth;
- Country/City of Birth;
- Gender; and
- Country of Study.
- Collecting these details helps to establish a clear unique identity for the individual and will avoid duplication. You will also be required to give a preferred contact method for the student, either an email, text message or postal address.
- Enter details required from one form of valid ID
IMPORTANT: The student’s details you enter when you create their USI must match exactly with the corresponding details displayed on the student’s chosen form of ID.
If the student has not brought a DVS document with them or the check is unable to be completed on the day, the training organisation can proceed with its enrolment process and complete the USI creation process at a later stage, subject to the parameters of the SMS. There is also a process for training organisations to assist students with special circumstances who do not have access to these documents.
Step 2 The DVS will check the form of ID provided and automatically provide you with a notification of success or, alternatively, a reason for an unsuccessful DVS check. If the form of ID has returned an unsuccessful notification, check the details entered carefully or try using a different form of ID (however, remember the student’s details must match exactly with the details displayed on the new form of ID).
Step 3 Where a USI has been successfully created, training organisations will receive a success notification with the student’s USI number. In other cases, training organisations will receive a system generated notification indicating that a USI already exists for that student, or a reason for an unsuccessful application.
Step 4 Once the USI application process is successfully completed students will receive an automated system notification via their preferred contact method. This will provide them with their USI and ask them to create a password and set their check questions (also known as security questions).
Verify a USI
Step 1 Follow the prompts within your SMS when using Web Services to Verify a USI.
- To verify a USI for an individual you must provide the following details:
- The USI;
- First Name and Family Name or Single Name (where applicable); and
- Date of Birth.
IMPORTANT: This step is very important, as the student may have made a mistake when they recorded or provided their USI to you. Also make sure the student is giving you the exact details (e.g. name format) they used when they created their USI. This may be different to their preferred name or the details already stored in your SMS.
Step 2 The verification result will be returned from the USI Registry system to your system. You will use this USI when reporting to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research’s National Data Collection.
For more information on how a training organisation can submit a bulk creation request and retrieve the results, please download a copy of the Technical Services Contract from the System Developers page (for student management system developers) and the Registered Training Organisation User guide.
For more information on how a training organisation can submit a bulk creation request and retrieve the results, please download a copy of the Technical Services Contract (for student management system developers) from the System Developers page and the USI Registry System User Guide Training from the USI Support materials page.
Registered Training Organisations can also contact the USI Office directly:
Phone: 1300 857 536