Factsheet USI Accessing USI through the website
USI Unique Student Identifier
RTO—Accessing the Unique Student Identifier through the USI Website
USI...streamlining student records for the future
Accessing the USI Registry System as a Training Organisation
All training organisations can access the USI Registry system directly to create and verify USIs through the USI website. Training organisations can also use the USI website to:
- view and/or update a student’s personal or contact details; and
- view a student’s training records once these become available.
Before you login
Permission for training organisations and their individual staff members to access these functions will be managed using AUSkeys. An AUSkey is a standard authentication requirement for conducting Business to Government and Government to Government communication over the internet (e.g. for communicating with the Australian Taxation Office). The process to obtain an AUSkey is managed by the Australian Business Register (ABR) and should be quick. You will need to identify your AUSkey administrator.
For more information on how to apply for an AUSkey, please visit abr.gov.au.
Verifying the USI through the USI Website
Most students will be able to obtain their USI on their own, although it will be important for each training organisation to prompt them to do this before they enrol. Where a student provides a USI it must be verified by the training organisation.
Verification is critical to ensuring the training organisation has collected a valid USI connected to the correct student.
The verification process is quick and simple and uses information normally obtained as part of standard enrolment processes.
The following steps show how you can verify your student’s USI:
- Go to the USI website at usi.gov.au.
- Select Training Organisation Entry
- Select Training Organisation
- Login and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Login using your AUSkey credentials.
- Select Verify USI.
- You will be prompted to enter the following details
- USI number; Name; and Date of Birth.
- The USI Registry system will confirm if these details match or provide information on which fields do not match, allowing for the staff member and student to correct any errors.
Creating a USI through the USI Website
Most training organisations will need to help at least some students to create a USI. The USI Registry allows training organisations to create a USI on behalf of a student with that student’s permission.
The following steps show how you can create your student’s USI:
- Go to the USI website at usi.gov.au;
- Select Training Organisation Entry
- Select Training Organisation Login and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Select Create USI (you must have the student’s permission to create a USI on their behalf);
- You will be prompted to enter the following details:
- Name of the student;
- Date of Birth;
- Country/City of Birth;
- Gender; and
- Country of Study.
- Collecting these details helps to establish a clear unique identity for the individual and will avoid duplication. You will also be required to give a preferred contact method.
- Enter details from one of the eight Document Verification Service (DVS) documents listed:
- Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa)
- Birth Certificate (Australian)
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
- Immi Card.
- IMPORTANT: The student’s details you enter must match exactly with the details displayed on the student’s chosen form of ID.
The USI Registry System will automatically check that these details match against the personal details recorded above and the identity record held by the relevant issuing agency. This process helps to reduce the chances of creating similar but separate identities for the same individual. If you create a USI on behalf of a student, there is no need to separately verify it.
If the student has not brought a DVS document with them or the check is unable to be completed on the day, the training organisation can proceed with its enrolment process and complete the USI creation process at a later stage. There is also a process for training organisations to assist students with special circumstances who do not have access to these documents.
If you created a USI, you will receive the USI generated by the system. We recommend that you copy and paste this into your student management system or your AVETMISS reporting system to mitigate the risk of data entry errors.
For more information on how to Apply for a USI On Behalf Of Students or how to Collect and Verify USIs please visit: usi.gov.au
Or contact us at Email: USI@usi.gov.au
Phone: 1300 857 536
To view this document online please visit: usi.gov.au