RTO National Reporting Requirements for 2015 - Update
- Unique Student Identifier requirements come into force from 1 January 2015. RTOs not yet set up with access to the USI Registry System need to get access as quickly as possible.
- Total VET Activity 'Grace Period' expires on 31 December 2014.
In this update:
- Help to access the USI Registry System
- New USI tools and tips
- Understanding AVETMISS reporting requirements
- MySkills upgrade: making it easier to promote your courses
- USI exemptions
USIs are not required before 1 January 2015. But it makes sense to get ready for student enrolments and reporting now. So far, over 200,000 USIs have been created!
Help to access the USI Registry system
- From 1 January 2015 before you can issue a VET qualification, statement of attainment or a testamur, RTOs must record and verify a USI for each student
- Reporting changes for training organisations, include incorporating the USI into your 2015 reporting. See the National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements
- Having your system USI ready will save you and your student's time at enrolment stage. If you need help, see how to set up access to the USI Registry System.
New RTO SmartForm for setting up access to the USI Registry System and changing your details
If you don’t yet have access to the USI Registry System or would like to make changes to your details, complete the new simple RTO SmartForm for:
- setting up basic access to the USI Registry System
- applying for web services (system to system)
- making updates to your organisation’s information.
The new RTO SmartForm now includes:
- new information unique to your business – to help us understand you better
- applying for Self Service Authorisation – you can set permission levels for specific staff
- access to the Document Verification Service (DVS) Override – for helping your students who haven't been issued with the required proof of ID.
Why do I need my AUSkey?
- Your AUSkey (usually managed by your senior financial officer) automatically authenticates the information in the USI Registry System when using web services
- It keeps your information secure, protects your identity and authenticates business to government transactions. See our Tips for AUSkey.
Student Management Systems (SMS) that are USI ready
- If you’re thinking about linking your ICT system and computers to the USI system, you may need a Student Management System that is USI ready
- Our SMS Provider USI Compliance Register also references ‘AVETMISS Compliant’ products.
USI Help Centre
- See our USI Help Centre for assistance - it’s a great resource when getting ready for the USI
- If you prefer, you can call 13 38 73 or just email us at email@example.com.
New USI tools and tips
A new suite of 'step by step' tutorials and 'How to' videos are now available:
- How to Create a USI on behalf of a student
- How to Verify a USI
- How to Find a USI.
Helping students without proof of ID
- The DVS Override function in the USI Registry System is the way to manage students who haven't been issued with the required proof of ID
- You can request access to the DVS Override function via the new RTO SmartForm
What is Self Service Authorisation (SSA)?
- SSA allows you to limit access and permission levels on the USI Registry System for specified personnel
- It can devolve access from your AUSkey Administrator (often your senior financial officer) to one or more of your nominated staff. See the SSA User Guidefor more information.
Understanding AVETMISS reporting requirements
- All training organisations must report nationally recognised training delivered in 2014 by the end of February 2015, unless they have an approved exemption
- Your VET training information must be collected and reported to meet the NCVER’s
- Reporting arrangements vary from State to State. See the
- fact sheet on 'Where, when and how do I report my AVETMISS data?'
- or contact your State Training Authority to confirm
For the training organisations that were granted a 12 month Grace Period during 2014, you must start collecting total VET activity (TVA) data from January 2015, for reporting by February 2016
For more assistance please email: VETactivityreporting@industry.gov.au
MySkills upgrade: making it easier to promote your courses
The MySkills RTO portal upgrade makes it easier to promote your courses and facilities
The USI and reporting webpage has information on exemptions.
This Month’s USI Tip: In the USI Registry System, recommend to your students that they select notification ‘By email’. It gets their information to them almost immediately. It’s much quicker than notification ‘By letter’ or ordinary post. Letters may take 5-14 days to get to the student.
Acting Student Identifiers Registrar
Department of Industry
p: 13 38 73
- < >www.usi.gov.au